Sunday, November 11, 2012

Long Robes, Long Prayers (Proper 27B; Stewardship)

 

“Long Robes, Long Prayers”
11 November 2012
Proper 27B
Homily preached at Trinity Episcopal Church
Ashland, Oregon
8:00 a.m. spoken Mass, 10:00 a.m. Sung Mass

"Teaching in the temple, Jesus said, "Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and to have the best seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets! They devour widows' houses and for the sake of appearance say long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation."
He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on." (Mark 12:38-44)

God, take away our hearts of stone, and give us hearts of flesh.  Amen

I remember the moment when I, as a young man, lost my idealism about the U.S. system of government.  I was a Ph.D. student at Catholic University in Washington, D.C., and worked nights sorting Congressional mail to help pay the bills for our growing family.  I worked in the House Post Office as a patronage employee, and I needed that job so I could go to classes during the day.  One night, I inadvertently witnessed a medical emergency involving a federal crime.  I called 911, but by the time the medical team arrived, the evidence of the crime—the drug works scattered about the men’s room floor and the hypodermic dangling from an unconscious co-worker’s arm—had been cleaned up, evidently by one of my co-workers while I called the emergency responders.  At the end of the shift, I was told to wait. The House Postmaster wanted to talk with me.  He asked me what happened, and I told him.  And then he told me that I had only seen my coworker unconscious, but that there had been no drug works or needles.   If I were questioned by the capitol police, he said, I was to leave out any mention of these because they simply had not existed.

I looked at him in shock. I had no intention of perjuring myself. “There are bigger issues here, sir.  We’ve got to get this guy help for his addiction.  You can’t suppress this just to maintain appearances.”  And then he said, with complete conviction, “Tony, don’t be naïve.  The only thing that matters is appearances.   The hospitalized guy is the son of a key majority staffer and is under the direct patronage of the Speaker of the House.   If you say anything that would embarrass him or cause political problems, I will make sure you lose your job and never work again in D.C.”  

“The only thing that matters is appearances.”  With those words, the scales fell from my eyes and I saw how corrupt and self-serving much of Washington life was. I happily did not lose my job.  The Postmaster saw to it that I was never questioned about the matter.   It would take several years before I regained some trust in the system.  This very Postmaster was implicated in a great embezzlement scandal.  He and his office staff were sent to federal penitentiaries for long sentences. 

“The only thing that matters is appearances.”  This cynical take on the world is common enough, and is what today’s Gospel reading is about.  Jesus criticizes those who specialize in religious law, who desire “to walk about in long robes (think: tailored suits, name brand accessories), to be greeted with respect in the marketplace (presumably where anything can be bought for a price), to have the best seats in houses of worship (that is, those most front and center, where everyone can see you), and seats in banquets held in honor of them.”  Jesus adds that the menus at such banquets of honor include something other than food:  “they devour the houses of widows.” And then he gives the real reason for their piety and worship, the long prayers that go with their long robes, “they do it all for appearance’ sake.”  While they appear to be buying influence, honor, power, and the respect of others, he concludes, all they really are buying is “more and more condemnation.” 

“The only thing that matters is appearances.”  This is not the same thing as having a decent respect for the opinion that others may have of you and being open to their suggestions and correction.  There are many, many things more important than appearances.  Integrity, honesty, kindness, assistance and love are values in and of themselves, wholly apart from appearances.  These higher values are only cheapened and demeaned if they are put into the service of trying to gain the approbation of others.

The difference between merely keeping up appearances and actually doing the right and honorable thing is this—keeping up appearances is done to control others, to manipulate them.  It objectifies them and in the process separates you from them, no matter how much closer to you they may seem.   Being open to the impressions of others is an act of community, and brings you closer to them.  

I have to admit that there is a certain allure to embracing “image management.” I grew up wanting the approval of my parents, my teachers, my sisters and brothers, and my classmates.  I based my good view of myself on the view that others had of me, and so I was always hungry for approbation, praise, and applause.  Good grades, admiring comments, ego strokes.  By the time I was a young adult, I was very much a people pleaser. 

My run in with the Postmaster forced me to reconsider my people-pleasing ways.  In the end, I realized that what other people think of me is, strictly speaking, none of my business.  But this did not come quickly. 

Just after this I became a practitioner of public diplomacy for the U.S.  My job was to mold public opinion overseas in the favor of my country, through press relations or through cultural, educational, or professional exchanges.  I had to advance my career as a Foreign Service officer through maintaining my supervisors’ and colleagues’ good opinion of me and my work. 

I learned that openness, honesty and effectiveness were great tools in managing the opinions of others.    But when I treated these qualities simply as tools for making a good impression, in reality they became increasingly impossible to reach.

In Lincoln’s famous phrase, you cannot fool all the people all the time.  Well, you can’t please all the people all the time either.   If your self-esteem is based on praise from others, you will be doomed to always feeling like a fraud, always having to catch up or cover up, never at peace, always struggling to manipulate your image and spin things. 

Jesus in the Gospel today says that such manipulation of others goes hand in hand with exploitation of others.   What the scribes are eating at their feast of honor is actually the houses of widows. 



Jesus juxtaposes this image of alienation and oppression with the view of a poor widow giving her last penny to the temple treasury. 

We are in Stewardship pledge season, and the temptation is always to preach this text as an example Jesus gave us to follow—the Widow’s Mite, the great example to us.  She gave her last penny, and so we should be willing also to give until it hurts.  But that is decidedly not what Jesus is getting at here.  

His point is that this poor woman is so controlled and brain-washed by the teaching of the scribes—those ultimate image managers, those complete maintainers of appearances, those devourers of widows’ houses—that she gives willingly all her livelihood while those who oppress her give only a tiny portion of their abundance. 

In a world where “all that matters is appearances,” the widow’s mite is laughable in comparison with the lordly sums of the scribes’ contributions.   As things really are, her contribution is greater than all of theirs.   She sacrificed while they did not. 

The contrast is very much like that in Jesus’ story of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector—both go and pray, but the Pharisee thanks God (loudly, for an audience) that he is not a sinner like all those about him and that he gives all sorts of devotions and money to the Temple.  The Tax Collector stands off by himself, can’t even bring himself to lift his eyes, and prays, ‘Have mercy on me, a sinner.’  The Tax Collector, says Jesus, went away from the Temple closer to God, while the Pharisee left further away. 

The Widow’s Mite, if applied to Stewardship campaigns, if anything, talks about the Church’s responsibility to be open in its accounts, responsible in its use of contributions, and fixed on the task of helping and standing with the poor and the oppressed.

It also talks about the real issue at heart in our giving to the Church.  THIS IS NOT ABOUT APPEARANCES.  It is not about trying to impress others, or gain control over them.  It is not about soothing a bad conscience or boosting a bad self-image by doing one more great, praiseworthy act.  It is not about people pleasing, or even God-pleasing. 

It is about true honor, not the honor we gain from the praise of others.  It is about offering true meals to the hungry, not about meals where we impress others and receive their praise.  It is about real prayer, not prayer to impress. 

Our giving to the Church must come from a thankful heart, a vision that the Church’s ministry is God’s work, and a sense that all that we enjoy comes as a free gift from the parent of us all.

Some of us tithe, or pay a tenth of our increase, as a way of trying to avoid being like the scribes whose offerings, though great, were less that the Widow’s penny.   Presumably she would only have paid a tenth of that penny coin.   

Don’t let scruples get in your way here.  “If I gave that much, it would only be because I am trying to impress someone.”  Remember the words of St. Julian of Norwich when she doubted that she should do something because she might have unworthy motives in doing it. She said God told her, “Do the right thing, and I will redeem your motives.” 

Our giving to the Church must be an act of community, where we draw nearer to our sisters and brothers, not an act of competition or objectification, where we draw away from them.  It must be an act where we take responsibility for God’s work, not where we try to take control. 

When all is said and done, it is about faith.  John Wesley famously used to inquire into the spiritual health of the faith communities he had founded when he would visit them.  A regular question he would ask, to help them determine the quality of their faith was this:  has your faith affected your pockets?  If it hasn’t, then it probably is weak and feeble. 

This week, please pray and consider where you are perhaps like my Postmaster—do you ever act as if the only thing that matters is appearances?  If so, just have faith and drop that burden.  Stop that particular rat race.  Get up off your knees from that particular idol.  You’ll be much, much happier. 

Also, if you have not already done so, take a good hour or so and consider your obligations to the Church.  Give not to impress anyone, and least not to impress yourself.  Make a pledge that adequately expresses your thanks and gratitude, one that will require sacrifice from you.  If it is not big enough to cause you to simplify your life and wonder about your financial wisdom, it probably is not big enough to express real gratitude, thanks, and faith.  But this is between you and God.  It is not for appearances. 

In the name of Christ, Amen.  



No comments:

Post a Comment