Thursday, January 3, 2013

Centering and Grounding for Dummies (Midweek Message)


Centering and Grounding for Dummies

"The spiritual person is drunk with the wine of love and that wine is the Spirit, the wine of power and life." (Olivier Clement)

When tired, frustrated, distracted, overly busy, or simply wandering in our heart at loose ends, it is important to take a minute, sit in a relaxed position, close our eyes, breathe slowly and rhythmically, think of places and people who have given us joy and safety, and center ourselves.   It often only takes 2-5 minutes to recover a grounding in joy and a degree of balance. 

Here are several short reflections and prayers to use for centering and grounding during this new year.  I suggest that you use one of these reflections and repeat one of these short prayers to help you center.  Making a habit of doing it at least once a day is very helpful. 

Reflections:

“I remind myself that, as I sit here now,
God is gazing on me with love and holding me in being.
I pause for a moment and think of this.”

 “Closer is He than breathing, and nearer than hands and feet.”         (Alfred Lord Tennyson)

“The world is charged with the grandeur of God.” (Gerard Manley Hopkins)

Prayers: 

God be in me, with me, around me.  Work through me, Loving Holder of all things. 

Kind Jesus, for your tender Mercy’s sake, make me recognize the love you have for me and for all.   

Light of lights, shine through me. 

Grace and Peace, 

Fr. Tony+ 

A Reminder on Traditional Epiphany Door Blessings

Bless your home for the New Year on Epiphany (Jan. 6) by writing in chalk above one of your doors: 

20+C+M+B+13

The letters C, M, and B stand for the names of the Magi in medieval lore (Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar) as well as the Latin phrase of blessing:  Christus mansionem benedicat, “May Christ bless this house.”
The blessing is said as you write each part of the chalk marking: 

“Lord Jesus, around two thousand (20) and thirteen (13) years ago,
                  20                                                      13

by the light of a great star you showed the way for the three Wise Men,
(C) Caspar,
(M) Melchior,
(B) and Balthasar to find you as a newborn baby. 
                        20       C       M       B         13

Christ (+) fill our home (+)  with Your light  (+),  and bless us and remain with us (+) throughout this New Year. 

                     20   +    C   +   M   +    B    +    13

You are the Son of God made flesh, and showed yourself to the whole world.  Help us now to show forth Your light to all through our acts of love incarnate.  Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment