Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Soldier's Faith (Proper 4C)

 

“A Soldier’s Faith”
Second Sunday After Pentecost; Proper 4 (Year C)
2 June 2013
Homily
Parish Church of Trinity, Ashland
The Rev. Dr. Anthony Hutchinson, Rector

God, take away our hearts of stone
 and give us hearts of flesh. Amen.

A friend of mine, when hearing that I was to be ordained, told me that he had once thought he was being called to the Roman Catholic priesthood.  “But that was long ago, and I was so wrong.  I don’t really know if I have any faith in God today, and perhaps I’m an atheist.  It all got so very confusing when I started facing up to who I was and where my life was headed when I was just out of college.  I realized I was gay, and that that wasn’t ever going to change.  And ‘Mother Church’ teaches my urges are deep, deep sin, that I am “objectively disordered.”  So I am unworthy, and ever will be.  I tried to do better, to conform to the rules, but I finally gave up.  And I lost my faith in the Church, and along with it, faith in God, I guess.” 

In a recent conversation with an elderly friend, I heard this: “I was so blessed for so long.  I’m still so blessed.  But I have so much pain in my body now, and in my life so many cherished things and people that I have lost.  I am depressed all day, every day.  I try to mediate and think positively, but it’s useless.  I pray, but God just doesn’t seem to hear or care.  I’m afraid I’m losing my faith and giving in to despair. I’m so unworthy, and it seems it will only get worse.  I’m helpless and hopeless. What can I do?” 

“We’re not worthy! We’re not worthy!”  I hear this phrase often enough to wonder at times whether I am in some kind of reality-imitates-art warped replay of the 1992 film “Wayne’s World.”    

Christians have been worried about worthiness from the very beginning,  

St. Hippolytus was Bishop of Rome in the early third century.  Around the year 215 C.E., he wrote a description of the “Apostolic Tradition” of his age, one of the earliest records we have of Christian Church rules and Eucharistic celebrations.

Hippolytus lists who is worthy to become a catechumen, that is, join what was at the time a three-year class to prepare for baptism.  More importantly, he lists who is not worthy.  Slaves had not only to receive the permission of their masters, but their recommendation as well. Married people needed to be faithful to their spouses; unmarried people, abstain from fornication.  In addition, professions of dubious moral character made you unworthy.  You had to give these jobs up if you wanted to be baptized: pimps and those patronizing prostitutes; anyone involved in the violent games of the Roman arena (including promoters, gladiators, wild animal handlers, and audience members); soldiers, lawyers and magistrates (because they gave or followed orders taking peoples’ lives in executions or war and took pagan oaths of obedience and loyalty); teachers in pagan schools (though if you had no other work and said you were sorry, you could keep your job and still be baptized); sculptors or painters of idols; and even actors (presumably because this was seen as one step away from prostitution).   

Some jobs or conditions of life simply were beyond the pale:  if you were one of these, you could never prepare for baptism.  If you were a “Magus” or practitioner of esoteric lore, you could never be baptized, though petty psychic readers, astrologers, amulet-makers, and enchanters, if they weren’t full-bore Magi, would have to quit their day jobs like anyone else to become Christians.

Hippolytus adds other classes of the permanently disqualified:  prostitutes, and what he calls “wanton men and those who do unspeakable things to each other,” and men who had emasculated themselves to become eunuch priests of the Magna Mater cult that was the Roman Empire’s functional equivalent of modern popular “New Age” Asian religions of the month.  

Such great sinners as these could never be allowed to be baptized, for “they are impure.”  “Not Worthy! Not Worthy!” (Apostolic Tradition, 16:1-16).   

Note the logic of patriarchy here—a man could leave his job as a pimp and be baptized, but a woman who had ever stooped to prostitution, never!  Similarly, a man could repent and leave off his fornicating and join a Catechumen class, but one whose mode of life or identity raised questions about what it was to be a man in a world run by men, never!

Worthiness or lack thereof is a subtext in today’s Gospel reading, Luke’s story of Jesus’ healing of the Centurion’s servant or slave (Luke 7:1-10).   The story is also told in Matthew (Matthew 8:5-13), where the one healed is simply called the Centurion’s “boy-servant.”  A much later form of the story seems also to show up in John (John 4:46b-54), where it is about a “Royal Official’s son.”  

All three versions of the story take place in Capernaum, near Jesus’ hometown in Gentile-rich Galilee.  Luke says a Roman Centurion has a slave “who was dear to him, and who was ill and close to death.” 

Now a “Roman Centurion” is almost a cartoon-character flat image in the writing of the period.  It is almost as if we said, “A Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant.” Centurions led cohorts with a full complement of 100, and they were responsible for ensuring that they were the fiercest and most effective warriors of the age.  Centurions bore the burden of making the Roman Army work: training, discipline, loyalty and submission to orders, logistics and equipment, fighting skills.  They were terse, powerful men of action.  Order and discipline ruled their lives.  They, together with their soldiers, were forbidden by law to marry while in active service.  As a result, brothels were common near their encampments, as was the practice of turning to other men.  The Romans had at first resisted what they called “Greek love” as effeminate and undermining of old Republican virtues, but by the time of the Empire, it was common enough to be the subject of banter and jokes. 

So when we hear that a Roman Centurion is sending Jewish intermediaries to Jesus, the image is striking indeed.  This is a man who normally would just take whatever the situation demanded.  But here he becomes a supplicant, asking Jesus for the favor of healing his servant.  

This Centurion has been doing a good job of fostering local goodwill toward the Empire, part of an effective rural pacification strategy.  Though a Gentile, he has built the local Synagogue.  Part of maintaining good order in the Roman ranks was a decent practice of Imperial religion—oaths to the Emperor and Jupiter, occasional sacrifices or votive offerings expressing gratitude to the Imperial deities or any local deities that may have contributed having one’s prayers being heard.  All over Europe there are Roman ruins strewn with sponsored building projects by similar Centurions marked by the initials VSLM—votum solvit libens merito—that is, “they freely and willingly fulfilled their vow.”

So the Centurion sends elders from the Synagogue to help convince Jesus to heal the servant: they say what a great guy he is, and how much he has helped the local Jewish community.  They will say that he is “worthy.” 

So Jesus goes with them, but before he gets to the house, the Centurion sends the message: “Sir, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof.”  A centurion indeed:  “sir” and a short, terse message from a man of action and not of words. 

“I’m not worthy.”  What is it that the he has in mind?   He is a gentile, and a military man.  That means he makes pagan oaths, kills people, has blood on his hands. 

In the original form of the story in the Sayings Source shared by Luke and Matthew, there may be another hint:  there, the initial message to Jesus is this:  “Sir, my boy is lying paralyzed at home, in distress.”  The Greek word for boy, pais, can mean a younger house servant or slave, and even a son as the story appears in John.  But in pagan Greek and Roman literature, it often describes a younger male pair-bonded with an older man.   The erastes-pais relationship often seen in Greek and later Roman culture, often in military settings, is not a relationship of equals, and should not be called a “same sex marriage.”  It is not anything that modern GLBT activists endorse or approve of.  But just as chattel patriarchal marriage could on occasion produce intimacy and love, this flawed erastes-pais institution could have on occasion seen true tenderness and intimacy.  It is possible that this Roman Centurion knows how profoundly troubling such a living arrangement would be to devout Jews, and this is one of the sources of his sense of unworthiness. 

We must not make too much of this—Luke understands the Sayings Source phrase clearly as “household slave” without any explicit sexual connotation.  But Luke does note that the Centurion and servant are intimate at least on some level: the slave is dear or highly valued to the Centurion; this is why he approaches Jesus.

“I’m not worthy.”  Then the Centurion adds, “You mustn’t come under my roof.  But only speak the word, and he will be healed.”

These words are a profound expression of humility and submission.  They have been taken up in the post-Vatican II Roman tradition as a kind of Prayer of Humble Access for the people before taking Holy Communion:  “Lord I am not worthy for you to come under my roof, but speak the word only and my soul shall be healed.” 

The Centurion then explains, appealing to his Gunnery-Sergeant view of the world:  “For I also am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this, and the slave does it.”

When Jesus hears this he is amazed.  He turns to the crowd and says, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.”  Jesus is not following the rulebook that says, “You’re not worthy, you’re not worthy.”  His playbook is one of amazement and trust.  

The Centurion by no standard lives up to Hippolytus’ “worthy to prepare for baptism” standard.  But his is a simple faith.  “I may be unworthy, but you, Jesus can help me.  God working grace in this world has to be at least as efficient as the Empire working its control.” 

So Jesus healed the Centurion’s servant, just as elsewhere he welcomed drunks and whores, casting their demons out.  And so he heals us, regardless of the reasons we think we are unworthy.  We only need to turn to him, trust in his ability to fix things regardless, and let Jesus do what Jesus does. 

“I am not worthy to have you come under my roof.  But speak the word only, and my soul shall be healed.” 

In the name of Christ,  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment