Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Common Life (Mid-week Message)

-->


Fr. Tony’s Midweek Message
Common Life
February 13, 2014

St. Paul, writing to the Corinthians, said,

“I have a serious concern to bring up with you, my friends, using the authority of Jesus, our Master. I’ll put it as urgently as I can: You must get along with each other. You must learn to be considerate of one another, cultivating a life in common” (1 Cor 1:10, The Message)

The Corinthian Church he wrote to was divided by parties, cliques, and incipient sects.  Much of his letter seeks to address specific points of division or teach an overall way of getting along in the Church. 

I often hear from people that what brought them to Trinity was the good community life offered, the fact that people in the parish care for one another and truly seek to live the Gospel.  I see everyday evidence of this, and feel very blessed to be called to minister to such a community.  As Jesus said, “By your love for one another shall people know that you are my disciples.” 

I do on occasion, however, hear from people in the parish who have been deeply hurt by others.  I suspect this usually comes from thoughtlessness rather than deliberate, intentional nastiness.   The most common type of injury stems from a simple lack of courtesy, where one person seems to denigrate or at least devalue the gifts and tastes of another.  This might take the form of a general expression of dislike or contempt for certain kinds of art or music, or styles of worship.  It might be phrased prettily as a “helpful suggestion” for improvement. 

Such commentary comes with the turf, perhaps, in a theater town and a parish with a lot of musical talent.  We all love to be critics.  Often, I think, the person making the comment is unaware that the person to whom they are speaking deeply loves the music or art in question, maybe has spent years honing a skill in it, or is profoundly moved by the style of worship—simple or complex—thus belittled.  Sometimes the critic is aware of the other person’s attachment to the thing criticized, but feels a need to set the other person straight, or at least establish his or her own ‘expertise’ in the matter being judged.

But there is no love in judgment.   Such off hand remarks by those in community with us can deeply hurt, sometimes worse than intended insults by opponents.  The problem is that often the thing ‘corrected,’ belittled or criticized is something that truly matters to the other person, something where they find joy and feel God, or something to which God is calling them.   Disrespecting someone else’s calling from God is rightly understood by people as dishonoring them. 

So in the spirit of Paul, let me repeat a couple of basic rules for us to get along well in community and build our common life in Christ: 

1)   I must always try to be open to things that are not my “cup of tea.”  
2)   I should try to phrase my judgments on art, music, or worship style in terms of what I find attractive, not what I find unattractive.
3)   I should feel free to pursue my calling and my passion, and let my work and art speak for itself. 
4)   I should generally refrain from playing the teacher, opinion leader, or critic.  If asked or tasked to take on such a role, I should limit it to the specific demands of the request or tasking.  As a teacher, leader, or critic, I must always try to build up and not tear down, remembering that the best pedagogy is empowering someone to learn on their own and correct their own errors. 
5)   I should seek to honor Christ in every person, as I promised in the baptismal covenant, regardless of our differences in politics, taste, morals, or backgrounds. 

I have found in my own life that every time I have let myself learn a new form of expression, whether musical, artistic, or in worship, I have always been enriched.  When I was young, I found what I indiscriminately booked together as “classical” music too hard and inaccessible.  Fortunately, in college, I fell in love with a woman of impeccable taste and was motivated to learn the delicate and joyful art of appreciating fine music.   In fact, I became something of a snob.  I later developed a real prejudice against what I characterized at the time as “hands in the air, repetitive, happy-clappy” PRAISE music.  But I served in parishes with Evangelicals who loved this kind of music, and performed and led it.  I came to appreciate it, and today, two of the hymns I thus learned have become favorites, always deeply moving to me.

We are very blessed in Ashland and at Trinity to have such gifted people in our midst, and such diversity.  Let’s remember to treat ourselves and others gently, and always try to build each other up and respect the gifts and callings God gives each of us. 

 Grace and peace,
Fr. Tony+

No comments:

Post a Comment