Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Gelasian Prayer (Mid-week Message)




Fr. Tony’s Mid-week Message
May 21, 2014
A Gelasian Prayer

One of my CREDO classmates sent me the following prayer, from the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary.  I wanted to share it with you since it seemed to speak to many concerns parishioners have raised with me over the last two years about the sometimes bewildering world we live in: 

“When I behold the problems of the world, O Lord, I pray not to be tempted to quick answers. When every tongue, declares a different Truth, when every people praises its own Righteousness, let me pause before I speak or praise or hope. Let me look inward seeking to discover eternal truths implanted there by You; truths greater than those heard in the outer multitude of voices and words. And let me remember always that to be loud is not to be right, to be strange is not to be forbidden, to be new is not to be frightful, to be black is not to be ugly. Thus let me find truths true to You, that I may live with them, and You, and myself, in peace.”

--Gelasian Sacramentary 6th-8th centuries, adapted from The Little Book of Prayers [Peter Piper Press].
Grace and Peace,
Fr. Tony+

No comments:

Post a Comment