Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Mercies New Every Morning (Mid-week Message)





Fr. Tony’s Midweek Message
Mercies New Every Morning
July 15, 2015

It is a strange thing, but in probably one of the grimmest books of the Bible, the Lamentations of Jeremiah, we find one of the most affirming and faithful passages of the Bible: 
22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases,
    his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
    “therefore I will hope in him.” (Lamentations 3:22-24)

A similar sentiment is expressed in Psalm 16, a prayer for protection from horror and death, which also says “the Lord is my portion” or allotted heritage: 
Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
    I have no good apart from you.” …
The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
    you hold my lot.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    I have a goodly heritage.
I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
    in the night also my heart instructs me.
I keep the Lord always before me;
    because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices;
    my body also rests secure.
10 For you do not give me up to Sheol,
    or let your faithful one see the Pit.
11 You show me the path of life.
    In your presence there is fullness of joy;
    in your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
  (Psalm 16:1-2, 5-9) 
These verses may sound familiar, since they are the basis of several well-beloved passages in the Prayer Book, including versicle and responses and opening acclamations in Evening and Morning Prayer, as well as a key part of the burial office.   

Why so much faith and trust amid fear and trouble? The Message Bible may give a hint to the psychology here when it translates “The Lord is my portion ... therefore I shall trust in him” as “I’m sticking with God … He’s all I’ve got left.”

Trust and faith in God, even amid—or more exactly, especially amid—trouble is something that must take place each day: “mercies fresh every morning” and “my heart teaches me, night after night” express the idea of a daily renewal of God’s love for us and our trust in God.   With such renewal, we can find joy in the morning, and we can rest secure at night. 

The concept and feeling is expressed well in Stephen Schwartz’s Godspell’s version of the Prayer of St. Richard of Chichester: 

Day by day, day by day
Three things, O Lord, of thee I pray:
To know thee more clearly,
Love thee more clearly,
Follow thee more nearly,
Day by day. 

Grace and Peace,
Fr. Tony+

No comments:

Post a Comment