Wednesday, November 4, 2015

"Preventing" Grace (mid-week)



Fr. Tony’s Midweek Message
“Preventing” Grace
Nov. 4, 2105

“Open my lips, O Lord,
and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.”
Psalm 51:15

One of the core ideas in Christian faith is that all good comes from God.  And so we pray that God will stir our hearts and inspire our minds that we can better worship, praise, pray, and behave.   This is not seen as a choice or preference on our part, something to be chalked up to our wisdom or basic goodness, but rather the effect of God already at work in us:  prevenient grace, the grace from God that stems from God’s desire that all be saved (God’s “universal salvific will”) and goes before the grace of God experienced as salvation.  

One of the traditional collects in the Prayer Book reads:
 
Prevent us, O Lord, in all our doings, with thy most gracious favor, and further us with thy continual help; that in all our works begun, continued, and ended in thee, we may glorify thy holy Name, and finally by thy mercy obtain everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.” 

“Prevent” here carries the original meaning of the Latin “prevenire” “to go before” and does not have any hint of impediment or hindrance. 

“Prevenient” or “preventing” grace is one of the hallmarks of the Anglican theological heritage.   We share the idea with Roman Catholics, Orthodox, Methodists, and most Baptists; Calvinists have traditionally rejected the idea and labeled it at “Arminian” (from Jacob Arminius, a Dutch reformed theologian who rejected Calvin’s idea of a double predestination, one to heaven and one to hell.) 

The idea of prevenient grace is expressed in the hymn “Amazing Grace” this way: “’twas grace that taught my heart to fear, and grace my fear relieved.”

This was a new idea for me when I became an Episcopalian.  I was raised in a tradition that emphasized human free will and choice, and understood “grace” as a result of one’s works.  The idea that God was working in us even in our first stirrings toward faith was strange to me. Now I see it all about us in our prayers and liturgy, again and again.   

The idea is not that we are unworthy or so depraved that we cannot do or conceive of any good.  Rather, it is a reflection on God’s overwhelming goodness and beauty, and the fact that God lies behind and beneath all that is.  

The basic structure of the collect prayer form reveals the doctrine of prevenient grace: One of God’s names is named, followed by an attribute or act of God, and only then comes the petition. 

J. Philip Newell wrote the following prayer in the Celtic style, expressing the idea in somewhat more accessible terms: 

As I utter these prayers from my mouth O God
In my soul may I feel your presence.
The knee that is stiff O healer make pliant.
The heart that is hard make warm beneath your wing.
The wound that is giving me pain,
O best of healers, make whole
And may my hopes and my fears
Find a listening place with you. 

Grace and peace,
Fr. Tony+

No comments:

Post a Comment