Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Yearning and Awe (Mid-week Message)



Fr. Tony’s Midweek Message
Yearning and Awe
February 17, 2016

4th Century deacon, ascetic and poet St. Ephrem the Syrian, called the “Harp of the Holy Spirit” by Eastern Church writers, wrote 400 or so metrical doctrinal poems (madrashe) in Syriac,  the later form of Jesus’ native tongue, Aramaic.  I was struck by one recently that talks about faith and fear:  

I stood halfway, caught
Between awe and love.
Yearning for Paradise
Invited me to explore.
Awe at its glory
Kept me back from the search.
But Lady Wisdom
Helped me reconcile the two.
I could stand in silent awe at what remained hidden. 
And I could meditate upon the bits that God chose to reveal. 
Searching was for my growth and benefit. 
Reverent silence was for my consolation and help. 
(Hymns on Paradise 1:2, my translation)

In Lent, we often are caught unawares by moments of brilliance.   These may make us question foundations and assumptions, and can be very unnerving.  But it is important not to draw back.  It is important not to treat such wonder lightly or in a jaded chatty fashion.  Faith is trust above all else, and trust helps dispel fear.   We need to take such strange new things and “treasure them in our heart” like the Blessed Virgin after the scene in the Temple with twelve-year old Jesus (Luke 2).  Search is for our growth and benefit.  And attentive silence in the presence of wonder helps us deal with the uncertainty that comes automatically with being on the Way with Jesus. 

Grave and Peace,
Fr. Tony+

No comments:

Post a Comment