Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Songs in the Night (Midweek Message)



 Icon of Blessed Lancelot Andrewes, 2015, Sacred Murals Studio

Songs in the Night
Fr. Tony’s Midweek Message
March 15, 2017

Bishop Lancelot Andrewes was a biblical scholar and preacher during the reigns of Elizabeth I and James I.  He served as general editor of the King James translation of the Bible, and was principal author of the translation of Genesis-2 Kings.  Kurt Vonnegut in one of his novels suggested that Andrewes was “the greatest writer in the English language,” citing the first few verses of the 23rd Psalm in Andrewes’ translation. 

Andrewes wrote the following prayer about old age not long before his death in 1626 at age 71: 

Evening Prayer

The day is gone, 
and I give Thee thanks, O Lord. 
Evening is at hand, 
make it bright unto us. 
As day has its evening so also has life;
the even of life is age, age has overtaken me,
make it bright unto us.
Cast me not away in the time of age; 
forsake me not when my strength faileth me. 
Even to my old age be Thou He,
and even to hoar [white] hairs carry me ; 
do Thou make, do Thou bear, do Thou carry and deliver me.

Abide with me, Lord, for it is toward evening, 
and the day is far spent of this fretful life. 
Let Thy strength be made perfect in my weakness.

Day is fled and gone, life too is going, this lifeless life. 
Night cometh, and cometh death, the deathless death. 
Near as is the end of day, so too the end of life. 

We then, also remembering it,
beseech of Thee for the close of our life,
that Thou wouldest direct it in peace, 
Christian, acceptable, sinless, shameless, 
and, if it please Thee, painless, Lord, O Lord, 
gathering us together under the feet of Thine Elect, 
when Thou wilt, and as Thou wilt, only without shame and sins. 
Remember we the days of darkness, for they shall be many,
lest we be cast into outer darkness. 
Remember we to outstrip the night doing some good thing.

Near is judgment;
a good and acceptable answer
at the dreadful and fearful judgment-seat of Jesus Christ
vouchsafe to us, O Lord. 

By night I lift up my hands in the sanctuary, and praise the Lord. 
The Lord hath granted His loving-kindness in the day time; 
and in the night season did I sing of Him, 
and made my prayer unto the God of my life. 

As long as I live will I magnify Thee on this manner, 
and lift up my hands in Thy Name.
Let my prayer be set forth in Thy sight as the incense, 
and let the lifting up of my hands be an evening sacrifice. 

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, our God, the God of our fathers, 
who hast created the changes of days and nights, 
who givest songs in the night, 
who hast delivered us from the evil of this day
who hast not cut off like a weaver my life. 
nor from day even to night made an end of me.

Grace and Peace, 
Fr. Tony+

No comments:

Post a Comment