Sunday, November 5, 2017

Beloved (All Saints' Day A)


“Beloved”
 November 5, 2017 Solemnity of All Saints
(Year A; transferred from Nov. 1; with All Souls' Prayers for the Dead)
Homily preached at Trinity Parish Church
Ashland, Oregon
The Rev’d Fr. Tony Hutchinson, SCP, Ph.D.
8:00 a.m. spoken Mass, 10:00 a.m. Sung Mass

God, take away our hearts of stone, and give us hearts of flesh.  Amen


Mother Mary Piper in her All Soul’s Day homily at the Thursday Healing Eucharist this week challenged us to tell each other stories of our beloved departed.   It made me think of my father, Alonzo Hutchinson, and my mother, Grace Warr.  They were both devout Mormons, but also free thinkers who valued pursuing a reasonable and moderate rule of life.  They had met in elementary school, and fell in love as teenagers.  With several months left in high school, they secretly eloped and then continued living in their respective parents’ homes until after graduation.  It was still a source of pain for my grandmother decades later, although a source of secret pride for my parents.    

One moment in particular tells of how my father transmitted his values to me.  One day, when I got home from classes at high school, my father was waiting for me and asked if we could talk privately.  He explained that earlier in the day, he had come home from work to pick up an item he needed.  Then, unexpectedly, the newspaper delivery person rang the bell and asked for payment for the month that was ending.  “I was short a few dollars and wanted to pay him in full right then, so I went through jackets in the front closet to see if anyone had left change that would make up the difference.  I am sorry I went through your things.  But this is what I found.”  To my surprise and horror, he held out a small pouch containing a pipe redolent with a rich aroma that was not tobacco. My friends and I had been experimenting for a few months.  I thought I had left it in my locker at school.  “What is this?” he asked gently.  Totally flummoxed, I stammered out a tale of how the day before there had been a police sweep at school, and one of the known “problem kids” in my class had approached and asked me to hold this pouch for him, since tobacco products were forbidden on campus and the cops would surely not even search me, given my goody-two shoes reputation.  “I took it as a favor for him and was going to give it back at the end of the day.  But he had left campus and I forgot about it.  Why, do you think I shouldn’t have done that to help a friend?”  My father was silent a couple of moments, and then said quietly, “Son, I think this may be drug paraphernalia.  Your classmate was just trying to not get arrested.  But if the police had found this on you, you are the one who would have been arrested.   Here it is.  Give it back to him as soon as you can and don’t put yourself at risk like this again.”    I was so relieved.  I was and am not a very good liar, and here my father, world-wise in so many ways more than me, swallowed my story, hook, line, and sinker.  But it bothered me that I had lied to my dad.  Later in the year, as I read Mohandas K. Gandhi’s autobiography, I came upon his story where he tells his father similar lies to cover for his own disrespect of Hindu dietary laws to curry favor of British classmates at school.  Gandhi said this hurt his conscience so badly that he vowed he would never again do anything he would have to lie to his father about.  I felt all the guiltier: I had not felt even a wisp of guilt when I had lied to extravagantly to my dad.  In the next weeks, I tried to pray and meditate to help figure out if there was something broken in me.  Soon I had a deep religious experience that helped me get order and direction back into my life. 

Years later, talking to my dad, I asked him if he even remembered the incident and said I couldn’t believe how he could have been so gullible and believing in me.  He smiled and said gently, “Actually, I knew you were lying.”  “Why didn’t you confront me then?”  “I realized that if you were willing to lie to me to cover up things, you were not ready at all to have what was going to be a difficult conversation.  So I allowed you the dignity of thinking I believed you, knowing that given who you were, a time would come when we could be honest about it.”   

My father knew to wait until people were ready to talk about the things that matter most.  He had the confidence that no matter how uncontrollable things might look now, in the end, all would be well. 

I believe that we must have confidence and hope that all will be well for our beloved departed, and not just for those who died in the embrace of the Church.   This hope is the basis for our praying for the dead.  It is also why we celebrate both All Souls’ Day right after All Saints’.

C.S. Lewis, in his great work Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer, writes this: 

“Of course I pray for the dead. The action is so spontaneous, so all but inevitable, that only the most compulsive theological case against it would deter me. And I hardly know how the rest of my prayers would survive if those for the dead were forbidden. At our age, the majority of those we love best are dead. What sort of intercourse with God could I have if what I love best were unmentionable to him?

“I believe in Purgatory.  Mind you, the Reformers had good reasons for throwing doubt on the ‘Romish doctrine concerning Purgatory’ … [but T]he right view [is] … in [John Henry] Newman’s “Dream [of Gerontius].” There …  the saved soul, at the very foot of the throne, begs to be taken away and cleansed. It cannot bear for a moment longer ‘With its darkness to affront that light’…

“Our souls demand Purgatory, don't they? Would it not break the heart if God said to us, ‘It is true, my [child], that your breath smells and your rags drip with mud and slime, but we are charitable here and no one will upbraid you with these things, nor draw away from you. Enter into the joy’?  Should we not reply, ‘With submission, sir, and if there is no objection, I'd rather be cleaned first.’  ‘It may hurt, you know’ – ‘Even so, sir.’

“I assume that the process of purification will normally involve suffering.  Partly from tradition; partly because most real good that has been done me in this life has involved it. But I don't think the suffering is the purpose of the purgation...  The treatment given will be the one required, whether it hurts little or much.

“My favourite image on this matter comes from the dentist's chair. I hope that when the tooth of life is drawn and I am 'coming round',' a voice will say, ‘Rinse your mouth out with this.’ This will be Purgatory. The rinsing may take longer than I can now imagine. The taste of this may be more fiery and astringent than my present sensibility could endure. But . . . it will [not] be disgusting and unhallowed.”

Since it is impossible to know what is inside the human heart, in practice many of us remember and pray for all the dead, confident that God wants to save all his creatures.  God is love, and love draws us all on.  I am hopeful that, in the end, God’s love will overcome all our human crankiness and resistance.   Perhaps, just perhaps, all the departed will one day be faithful departed since the faithfulness at issue is God’s, not ours.  And washed and scrubbed, dried with large soft towels and dressed in comfortable fresh clothes, we will be welcomed to the royal banquet, not as permitted strangers, welcomed from outside, but as family members who belong there and without whom there could be no party, beloved all. 

Blessed and beloved: All Saints and All Souls.  But also all of us here:  Blessed and Beloved.

Each week we say “Therefore we praise you, joining our voices with angels and archangels, and with all the company of heaven.”  Mary reminded us on Thursday that this  includes the beloved departed.  We may not see them, but we hear them in our praises: a communion of saints indeed.

Together with Mary, I invite us all to think about a loved one who has died, whether one of the great saints of the Church, or a dear friend or family member.  Tell others their stories.  Pray for them, and ask them to pray for us.  Think of what they prayed for when they were here.  Wonder what they might be praying for now, in that great company of the Blessed.  If they weren’t churchy, and it is hard to imagine them praying, ask what their hopes and fears were, and what their hearts yearned for, especially when they were at their best.  For yearning is prayer.  And then find a way to start working for that.  I know my dad wants me to listen better to others, and recognize when people are ready to talk.
 
In the name of Christ, Amen. 


1 comment:

  1. This is a sweet story and before I read the last line, I found myself thinking "Hmmm - that's where he got it..."

    ReplyDelete