Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Deadlines (Midweek Message)





Fr. Tony’s Midweek Message
Deadlines
December 18, 2019

I need deadlines to get things done.  I tend to be lazy and indolent, and put things off until they MUST be done.  Without deadlines, I procrastinate and put things off, sometimes until it is too late, or almost too late.  Deadlines help impose a pressure to perform before things get to a critical point. 

But deadlines and pressure have a cost too:  they rob us of the ease of doing things naturally and spontaneously.  I have noticed that my worst caregiving for Elena comes when I am under a hard deadline, whether it is getting her to Church, a concert, or a play at a specific time, or bedtime before evening exhaustion threatens to melt us down and cause what care professionals call “sundowning.”  Under pressure, I tend to transfer the pressure on me onto her, even as I keep my words civil and my tone restrained.  The tension leaks out; I cannot help it.  And pressure and tension is a surefire way of aggravating Parkinson’s freezing or tremors, only making the delay in meeting the deadline worse.  I do a much better job when I build in plenty of time to take things at a leisurely pace and not rush anything at all. So I have learned to take things at a more leisurely pace, and start earlier than my indolent self likes.  I think I am slowly improving in this. 

Courage is often described as grace under pressure.  But I wonder:  is grace itself love that refuses to be put under pressure, or love that plans ahead to keep the pressures at minimum?  Is grace love that won’t let its hair be set on fire when the hair of all those about is ablaze? 

The curious thing about Advent is that with all the talk of the coming Great and Dreadful Day of the Lord, it ends with sweet baby Jesus lying in a manger.  With all the talk about repenting and amending our ways NOW in the time of this mortal life, before death makes it too late, Advent tells us that the day is already breaking, and life is already being renewed.  With all the talk about standing ready, awake, lest the Master come suddenly and find us unaware and asleep, Advent tells us to have hope and thankfulness in our hearts for the Salvation that is on it way.    It tells us to hurry up and wait, to relax into the great wave that is washing over us. 

This morning I gave last rites to a beloved member of the parish, whom a stroke quickly and painlessly put to sleep before breakfast.  She had said many times she did not want to grow older and more and more afflicted and diminished (“not like these hundred-year olds around me”).  She just wanted to go swiftly and painlessly, to be rejoined with her beloved husband, whose remains lie in the Trinity Columbarium.  For her, the final deadline arrived suddenly, with her unaware of its arrival.  Her prayers were answered:  she did not suffer.  She was well prepared, and she died well. 

We should not let our hopes and expectations create pressure and trouble our hearts.  We should make and honor deadlines to keep pressure away, not to increase pressure.  We need to act in timely ways, deliberately, relaxed.  For the final deadline is coming, and will be sooner than we expect.  

Grace and peace. 
Fr. Tony+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment