Friday, March 20, 2020

The Psalter on Isolation (PDMM4)






Fr. Tony’s Physical-Distancing Message and Meditation 4
March 20, 2020
The Psalter on Isolation

UPDATE 

Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center has set up a drive-through sample collection site for testing for Covid-19 in Medford, on Center Drive in south Medford, between Fred Meyer and Harbor Freight Tools.  Upon a referral from a physician or nurse, people are able to drive up, have a nasal swab quickly performed by medical staff that then will be sent to a private lab. Results are available in about a week.  Asante is directing all patients in the Rogue Valley with respiratory symptoms to call its Covid-19 hotline: 541-789-2813.   The staffers take down your specific symptoms and refer them to a nurse, who gets back to you with instructions, either to remain isolated at home, schedule a video visit, or proceed to the drive through testing site.    See https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Asante-rolls-out-new-coronavirus-testing-station-in-Medford-568867141.html 

Bishop +Michael Hanley sent out a message yesterday instructing all churches in the Diocese to remain closed now at least until April 14.  That means we will definitely be having Holy Week and Easter at home by virtual connection and using private devotions:  Trinity will send out rites, links, and how-to suggestions in the April Trinitarian and the Friday April 3 weekly message. 

In the meantime, we at Trinity continue to live-stream worship on our Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/TrinityAshland .  Go to this link.  When we’re streaming, it will show up live in your feed.  If you don't have a Facebook account, you can still see it.  If it asks you to join, say “No thanks” if you don't want to; you can still watch.  We live-stream services Sunday 10 a.m., M-S 8:30 a.m., Thursday 12 noon.  We will begin posting them for later viewing soon.   

MEDITATION: 

The Psalm appointed for Morning Prayer today, Psalm 88, at points sounds like it was written for times of isolation, sheltering in place, and physical distancing in times of pandemic:

“You have put my friends far from me;
you have made me to be abhorred by them;
I am in prison and cannot get free.”

“My friend and my neighbor you have put away from me,
and darkness is my only companion.”
It expresses fear of death and illness:

“I am full of trouble;
my life is at the brink of the grave.
I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;
I have become like one who has no strength;
Lost among the dead,
like the slain who lie in the grave.” 

But it also expresses the yearning and hope we have in such distress:

“O Lord, my God, my Savior,
by day and night I cry to you.
Let my prayer enter into your presence;
incline your ear to my lamentation.”

“But as for me, O Lord, I cry to you for help;
in the morning my prayer comes before you.”

We live in a beautiful part of the world.  Ashland’s light is glorious; the trees and flowers are now blooming in wonderful color and fragrance (triggering for some allergies and coughs that send hypochondriacs like me into a downward mood spiral!).   If possible, get out and enjoy the open air, keeping your distance from others and washing your hands when you go back inside.  Or pray and sing.  Or listen to your favorite music, preferably upbeat.  Simply enjoy beauty and the serenity of the respite and rest this isolation can provide. 

Be well, stay safe, and accept grace and peace. 

--Fr. Tony+



No comments:

Post a Comment