Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Qohelet's Little Secret


Ben Shahn, Qohelet


Fr. Tony’s Midweek Message
June 10, 2020
Qohelet’s Little Secret

In Morning Prayer this last week or so, we have been reading from the Book of Ecclesiastes, or, as it is called in Hebrew, Qohelet (the one who draws things together, a teacher).  Usually understood as the great cynic of scripture, the one who dares to say that life appears to have no meaning, the Teacher is, to my mind, beyond cynicism, since he argues that all is vanity or emptiness, including cynicism and smugly saying “at least I know that life has no meaning.”  Even sitting back and clucking one’s tongue at how rotten things are is silly for him:  “Again I saw all the oppressions that are practiced under the sun. Look, the tears of the oppressed—with no one to comfort them! On the side of their oppressors there was power—with no one to comfort them”  (Eccl. 4:1).  Note: oppressors and oppressed alike need comforters, and find none.   

Taking this to the logical conclusion brings a reductio ad absurdum:  what seems clear and obvious actually reveals profound obscurity:  “And I thought the dead, who have already died, more fortunate than the living, who are still alive; but better than both is the one who has not yet been, and has not seen the evil deeds that are done under the sun” (Eccl. 4:2-3).    For Qohelet, recognizing life’s randomness may be wise, but it brings no joy, and draws into question even whether existence is better than non-existence. 

Elena and I are at the beach on a short vacation.  Yesterday I watched with joy as dogs played and ran in the surf:  utter abandon, unmixed pleasure, and the closest thing I think I shall ever see to “dog heaven.”   As I sat there in the sun, thoughts about the turmoil our country is going through right now and how oppression afflicts both the oppressed and the oppressor kept intruding.  I did not think with Qohelet that maybe oblivion is better than knowingly witnessing “evil under the sun.”   Rather, I wondered how I might better be in the moment, emulate those beach dogs in heaven by losing myself in play, life’s joyful business, and simply try to share blessing and love without reference to outputs or metrics.   Such obliviousness is not oblivion, but rather true presence. 

Grace and Peace.
--Fr. Tony+ 





No comments:

Post a Comment