Thursday, September 17, 2020

Have I Done Any Good? (Midweek Message)

 

     Grace Warr Hutchinson in 1959 with three of her children, Cheryl, Tony, and Debbie.

Have I done any Good?

Fr. Tony’s Midweek Message

September 16, 2020

 

One of my mother’s favorite hymns was a gospel tune that appeared in the Latter-day Saint hymnal of my youth, “Have I done Any Good?”  She would sing it to us each night as she tucked us in bed.  She was always challenged in faith, but this song summed up her most basic hope and trust.  It is a bit formulaic and cheesy, and, perhaps, Pelagian in its theology.  But it was the faith she transmitted to her children, including me.  A measure of how powerful that daily recitation was is this:  I am reproducing it from memory.  When I retire at night, I still sometimes sing it to myself quietly.  Our current situation in the Rogue Valley brought to my mind the phrase, “there are chances for work all around just now,” and from there, came a memory of the whole song.  The point is doing what we are able, without taking credit or assigning guilt:  rather than complaining about what others might be doing, or doing things that make us or others feel good about us, we need to act to help people in need.  Rather than worrying about big picture things, make a phone call, a human connection, something one on one.  Sometimes just listening is enough.  In any case, connect on a human level, identify need, and address it.  

 

“Have I done any good in the world today?

Have I helped anyone in need?

Have I cheered up the sad, and made someone feel glad,

If not I have failed indeed.

Has anyone’s burden been lighter today

Because I was willing to share?

Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way;

When they need my help was I there? 

Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above.

Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,

A duty of service and love. 

 

“There are chances for work all around just now,

Opportunities right in our way.

Do not let them pass by, saying sometime I’ll try,

But go and do something today. 

‘Tis noble of man to work and to give

Love’s labor has merit alone; 

Only he who does something is worthy to live

The world has no need for the drone. 

[I am told that the most recent LDS hymnal has changed this line to “To God each good deed will be known,” presumably because damning non-productive drones was too discouraging.]

Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above.

Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,

A duty of service and love.” 

music to "Have I done any good"  

Grace and peace. 

Fr. Tony+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment