Thursday, February 18, 2021

A Lenten Prayer (midweek message)

 


Fr. Tony’s Midweek Message

A Lenten Prayer

February 17, 2021

 

Blessed Ephrem of Edessa, a fourth century deacon, hymn-writer, teacher, poet, orator, and defender of the Faith has been called The Harp of the Holy Spirit for his dozens of poems and hymns, all written in his native Syriac (Late Aramaic).    He wrote this penitential prayer: 

 

 “O Lord and Master of my life, grant me not a spirit of sloth, meddling, love of power, and idle talk, but give to me, your servant, a spirit of sober-mindedness, humility, patience, and love.  Yes, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own faults and not to judge others, since you are blessed to the ages of ages. Amen.”

 

In the Eastern Orthodox tradition, this prayer is considered to be the most succinct summation of the spirit of Great Lent.  As the Lenten prayer par excellence, it is prayed during all Orthodox Lenten weekday services.

 

Grace and Peace,

Fr. Tony+

 

(thnx to Bro. Finn Coll for sharing this with me)

No comments:

Post a Comment