Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sara Miles on Resurrection (Mid-week Message)


Fr. Tony’s Mid-week Message
April 17, 2013
Sara Miles on Resurrection

Here is a short snippet from Sara Miles’ fine book, Take this Bread.  She describes her feelings after the return of a friend, Martin, who she thought had died but instead had surprisingly recovered from a deadly illness.    

“I didn’t believe in miracles.  And yet I had begun to believe in healing.  I saw you could be changed, opened to experiencing your life differently, made more whole, even as your body was falling apart.  That you could be healed from fear by touch, even when you remained sick.

“And I had begun to believe in resurrection.  I didn’t mean, by resurrection, having Martin stand up alive from the operating table and walk: I saw no cause and effect between our prayers together and his improbable recovery.  Resurrection didn’t mean what I still yearned for in my loneliest moments: to see my best friend, Douglas; … or my beloved father materialize again, even for just a moment, next to me.  I actually couldn’t imagine that I would see them again, in the flesh, in a drift of pink clouds in a place called heaven.  Resurrection, to me, was mysterious and true in a way I could glimpse only for a second, before my mind refused to stretch that far.  It passed, as the Bible said, human understanding.  But I sensed that it had to do with time, like the time Marshall lay in my lap and we were both present and connected.  It was about eternity available in a fully lived instant” (p. 231). 

Faith is a gradual, partial thing.  Faithfulness is living out and responding to the small glimpses of the true, the beautiful, and the health-giving life behind our lives that God graces us with from time to time.  If you cannot believe in God hearing and answering prayers, or in the resurrection of Jesus, or in a general resurrection of the dead, then trust the calming effect of prayer on your worries, and the glimpses of God’s grace and of resurrection you see in your lives.  Do not try to work up a condition of belief; such efforts are doomed to fail or produce contrived and inauthentic results.  True faith comes naturally as a gift from God, sometimes in a massive and life changing flash of insight, sometimes in bits and pieces, the small dim glimpses in the world we see about us of the bright unseen world. 

Grace and Peace,

Fr. Tony+

No comments:

Post a Comment