Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Kvetcher's Itchy Nose (Mid-week Message)

 
 
Fr. Tony’s Mid-week Message
A Kvetcher’s Itchy Nose
November 27, 2013

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day.  We won’t have our usual noon Thursday Healing Eucharist; instead, we have a 5 p.m. Thanksgiving Eucharist this evening. 

Having Rabbi David Zaslow here at Trinity last week to roll out his new book, Jesus: First Century Rabbi, was a great pleasure.   During the program, his wife Devorah told a great Hassidic tale about becoming what you believe.    Thanksgiving this year also happens to be Hanukah, the Festival of Light commemorating the Dedication of the Temple under the Maccabbees. 

All this reminded me of another Hasidic tale I heard in graduate school:

There once was a woman named Anna.   She was a complainer, a kvetcher.   All day long she would whine, “I am so poor, my clothes are like rags.  I am so old, my back is as stiff as the walls of Jericho.  I have to walk so far to draw water, my feet swell up like watermelons.  My house is so tiny, I can barely move.  My children visit me so rarely that they barely recognize me.”   

One day Anna woke up with an itch on her nose. She went to visit the rabbi and he asked her,  “How are you, Anna?”

Anna gave her regular litany of woes, and the added, “And now my nose itches.  It is driving me mad!  What does it mean, Rabbi?”

The rabbi said, “Anna, your itch is a ‘complainer's itch.’ You are dissatisfied with life, and it’s like an itch that no amount of scratching can help.  However you feel about yourself and the world, that’s how you and your world will be!”

The next morning, Anna woke up.  Her nose still itched.  But her back had turned to stone! Her house had shrunk and she was so tightly squeezed in it that she could barely breathe, let alone move! On the end of her legs were two huge watermelons!  Real rags, not old clothes hung on her body!  Her son and daughter walked by, but they just looked at her suspiciously as at a stranger. They really did not know her!

In despair, Anna remembered the kvetcher itch on her nose and what the Rabbi had said.

So Anna began to think ‘I do have enough money to live on and a little more. There are people who are worse off than I, and I should help them with the extra I have.  For someone my age, I am pretty healthy, and feel pretty good.  My house may not be large, but it’s comfortable and easy to clean.  The walk to draw water is good exercise and gives me a chance to relax and look at the beautiful scenery.  I'm so proud that my children are independent and able to care for themselves.”  

Suddenly, as if by magic as Anna was saying these things, her body, house, clothes, and children returned to normal.  Her outlook on life changed forever.

The moral of the story is this: think positively and thankfully, because it brings more blessing and abundance.  The rabbis who tell the story end it by saying, “May your noses itch forever.”

Gratitude begets gratitude, complaining begets more complaining.  May we learn to be
grateful for the good we enjoy in our life, and not resent its nasty bits.

Grace and Peace,  Fr. Tony+


No comments:

Post a Comment