Thursday, November 21, 2013

Compassion of the Christ (Mid-week Message)


Fr. Tony’s Mid-week Message
Compassion of the Christ
As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
- Colossians 3:12-14 (NRSV)

In the Diocesan Convention last week, we talked a lot about the scene in John’s Gospel where Jesus before he is betrayed tells his disciples that they are his friends: “Love each other as I love you.  Friends lay down their lives for each other and there is no greater love than this!  You know you are my friends if you follow my teaching here to love each other.  I no longer call you my servants.  I call you my friends.  Servants do not have any clue what their masters are up to; but friends tell each other everything.  I’ve tried to share with you everything I have learned from my Father.  It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you.   Bear fruit, fruit that will last.  I am telling you all this so that you will love each other” (John 15:12-17, paraphrased).   The main presenter, Margaret Babcock, suggested that through this declaration of equitable friendship, Jesus empowered his disciples—and can empower us—to “bear much fruit,” “fruit that will last.”   
Jesus’ call to us is one of cordial and intimate relationship with him and with each other.   Jesus says that the hallmark of this is the “love” (phileo) enjoyed by an intimate friend (philos).    That means sharing our goals, fears, and intentions.  It means no hidden agendas.  It means helping one another with an awareness of shared intimacy and common hopes.    Whether in the privacy of small groups, or in the public life we conduct in the larger community, it calls for basic boundaries in our behaviors.  Friends are patient with each other, and forgive each other when they give offense. 
Honesty, kindness and courtesy all reflect this. 

In our common life, let us try to remember to be present for each other above all as friends, as ones who love. 

Grace and peace, 
Father Tony+

No comments:

Post a Comment